Pages

The big picture...

Friday, September 18, 2009

When a loving partner yells at you

I am the luckiest woman on earth. I have an awesome partner (we'll call him D) who not only thinks I'm gorgeous and smart but also tells me so on a regular basis. It took me a long time to be able to accept these compliments without throwing back a sarcastic response but I think I've mastered it now.

D hates it when I talk about being fat or obese. He simply doesn't see it. Perhaps he sees it as destructive self loathing. For me it is simply verbally reminding myself that my body is not at optimum efficiency.  Much like a badly tuned car engine, which you’d think D would totally understand.

So this week I've tried to educate him on the health implications - this isn't merely about fitting 'normal' clothes (ooo...maybe tomorrows post!). 

Don’t get me wrong – if I ask D to be my gatekeeper he will gladly eat all the chips and dip – but he’ll still yell “you’re not fat” when I fall into the depths of despair after not exercising. Maybe we could change that line to “you’re still gorgeous” so it doesn't come across as being so unsupportive?

1 comment:

  1. Hey Lou, welcome to the strange world of blogging about weight!

    I love how you have to educate your fab fella. Mine told me yesterday I felt like Marshmallow! They are an unpredictable lot...

    ReplyDelete

You also might like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...